Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Did you know...


...mangoes = poison ivy/oak/sumac??


it's true folks...I normally never eat mango, never. And when I say never I mean I would turn my nose up from anything that even resembled a mango. But for the last two weeks that was my fruit of choice. It was all I wanted. Well, during that time I noticed some "bumps" around my lips, on my lips, an itchy throat....yuck! Thank you concealer. Turns out I am allergic to the delicious fruit. And even better when I looked up symptoms to verify what I suspected, I found this - "Mango sap contains a substance known as urushiol, which can cause a severe rash. This same substance is found in poison ivy and poison oak, members of the same plant family as the mango plant. Ninety percent of all Americans suffer from varying degrees of sensitivity to urushiol." (eHow.com) This is a lovely little fact considering that earlier this year (well last year, summer 2010) I discovered I happen to be in extremely allergic to poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac. So...FYI.

I will miss eating you Mr. Mango...

Until next time.

1 comment: