Friday, January 14, 2011

Goals, people!

Goals, deadlines, pressure. Whatever you want to call it I need it. Last year I purchased a beautiful piece of furniture, pictured below, with every intention of stripping, staining/painting, adding new handles and giving it a new home in my living room. It is to be the home for our television, DVDs, movies, etc.

That was in July....6 months ago July. Now it's January...and can you guess where this lovely find is located? Oh, what's that you say? Finished and in my living room, beautified for all to admire? Ummm, no. So far, I have stripped and sanded the top of the buffet...and it sits in our garage...and that's it. I know, lame.

So, in order to motivate me to make things happen my darling husband, SWL, offered up some encouraging promises. First, he says that if I can get the buffet finished and ready to move to it's new home in our living room we can get a new T.V.! I was like "Whoa! heck yes!!". And then he said, BUT (oh no, not the BUT) it has to be done by the end of January. Eh, reasonable.

Now, let's see...it's January 14 and have I touched the buffet? Ummmm, negative. So, the way I see it I need to step it up, turn up the pressure, set some goals, and start checking them off. Here we go, Project #1 2011 - Buffet revamp.
a- Strip buffet of any old stain/paint
b- Sand all elements of buffet to smooth surface as best I can
c- Remove old hardware
d- Decide on and purchase new hardware (aka handles)
e- Stain/paint buffet new color
f- Add new hardware
g- Put all the pieces together again, move upstairs to the living room

Seven steps. Seventeen days. That's a little more than 2 days per step. I can do this....I can.

This is the first project of 2011. There are several others that desperately need attention, but for now this is what will get my attention. What about you? Have you come up with projects, set goals? How do you make yourself stay motivated? Or should I say, who motivates you?

Tips are welcome, ideas are great, please keep 'em coming!

Until next time...


1 comment:

  1. Get strippin' then Missy!! Imagine how you'll feel watching the Super Bowl on your new gigantic television... ;o)

    ReplyDelete