Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Dinner....

I'm not sure what you would call this, maybe Chicken Cilantro Tomato Soup? But whatever it is I found it delish enough to share. I had no clue what I was going to have for dinner, even after I walked through the grocery store staring at all the options. For some reason, the only items I put in my basket were a bunch of Cilantro and a few Spring Onions...uh, ok? What the heck was I planning on making with only those two items in my basket? Sometimes I worry about myself.

It all came together though, no worries. I dug through my pantry and found these items:

2 cans of diced tomato's with cilantro and lime juice
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of black eyed peas
I also had some fresh chicken breasts in the fridge.


So, first things first, I threw the chicken breasts in a frying pan with some olive oil and let them start cooking. Flipping, as needed, throughout the rest of the prep. I opened all the canned goods and emptied the contents into the largest saucepan I had (6 quarts, I think). I also added about 3/4 cup of water, just to think out the tomato sauce. Then I chopped up 4 spring onions and this much (see below) cilantro (you can go with as much as you want on these two items...I like them both so I went a little on the heavy side) and tossed them in with the rest of the ingredients.

By the time I was finished with all that, the chicken was ready to be cut and added to the mix. I added 2 1/2 chicken breasts just because I'm not the worlds biggest fan of a super chunky soup. Again, you can add/take away as you please. Here is what the yumminess looked like!!


My little helper...begging...*cough cough*...patiently waiting to see if you can get some of the yumminess.

Pretty darn cute <3>

Back to the soup...so after everything was in the saucepan, I covered it and brought it to a slow boil over medium to medium-high heat, let that go for about 2-3 minutes then cut it back to low and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Stirring here and there. In that time I was able to clean up the little bit of mess I made, load the dishwasher and get bowl and spoon out! Super easy y'all...and delicious! I totally recommend trying it. I started prep at 6:05pm and was eating my soup at 6:30pm!
*Clean*

Perfect amount of spice and freshness.

A little dash of cheddar and some blue corn chips....YUM!!




Let me know what you think if you try it!!




Until next time...


2 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous, Heather! AND healthy too-very inspiring! And thanks for the tip about the Beef, Cheddar and Potato Pie recipe from the blog! It was a big hit with my family so it will go in the recipes to keep file! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelair! You should give it a shot...maybe this will be a recipe to add to the collection as well! ;-)

    ReplyDelete