Friday, July 12, 2013

Fun Find Friday!

I'm not sure I can say I discovered this Friday's glorious "find", it was really just handed to me by some pretty awesome neighbors/friends of ours, who have a pretty awesome garden. Every year the hubs and I talk about putting in a small garden of our own, but with friends who continually supply us with freshness all summer long, we really don't need too. We are so blessed.
 
My "find" for this Friday - Spaghetti Squash. I know, I know....I have been living under a rock. It's not like spaghetti squash was just invented, but for me it is totally new! And delicious. And healthy. And easy....a huge plus when you are scrambling to find a dinner option with t-minus 1 hour until go time.
 
Of course, when I saw this on my counter I had no idea what to do with it.
 
 
But thanks to Google....I found literally thousands of different ways to prepare my squash.
 
Everything I read said roasting or baking the squash was the best way to lock in flavor and moisture, so that was the route I took. I wanted simple. Since this was the first time eating the squash I wanted to be able to taste it's flavor, not a lot of other toppings. So, I sliced it in half (long-ways), scooped out all the goop (aka stringy seeds), and gave each half a good layer of olive oil, mineral salt and cracked pepper. Then I baked it for 1 hour at 400 degrees.
 
 
Fresh out of the oven.
 
After it cooled a bit, I threw some shredded cheese on it (because who doesn't love cheese?) and went to town! The hubs and I each ate a half, which was probably more than either of us needed. You could probably get 3 servings out of one squash.
 
 
YUM!
 
It was so good! We will definitely be having this again - and maybe throw a little more pizazz on it to switch it up. I highly recommend trying this yummy gourd if you haven't already.
 
What are some of your garden favorites?  
 
Until next time,
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment